There are several Abruzzi sweets that are associated with memories because it was grandmothers who made them with such love for their grandchildren.
Anicini for example, are the classic anise cookies made with so much love by our grandmothers and bring back sweet childhood memories.
As you will see the ingredients are easy to find, we often already have them at home.
These are traditional Abruzzi cookies consequently, in addition to the ingredients, the procedure will also be really easy.
P.S.: you can leave the anise seeds whole or grind them, it depends on your personal taste.
Grandma's Classic Abruzzi Anise Cookies
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 1 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tbsp Anise Seeds
- Zest One Lemon
- In one bowl, mix and sift the flour with the baking powder
- In a second bowl, whisk the egg whites, adding the sugar a little at a time, followed by the yolks and the flavorings.
- When the mixture is frothy we can incorporate, with a small spatula, the flour and baking powder.
- The final mixture should be consistent to make it easier to divide into small loaves.
- On a baking sheet we spread a few rows of dough and bake for 15 minutes at 350 F. I recommend a static and preheated oven.
- Once baked, while they are still warm, we need to slice the loaves into many cookies, after which we bake them for the second time for another five minutes.
- This step can be prolonged if we want to make the cookies even browner, otherwise, if they like them softer, 5 minutes or even less is enough, depending on taste.
- Once we have cooled them, we can store them in the appropriate cookie container.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!