Almonds and Apple Rum Cake, as I say we can never have enough almond cakes.
And here is a yummy delicious cake with a yummy almond shortbread base.
YIELD: Serves 5
For The Pastry
- 6 oz (170 grams) plain flour
- 2.8 oz (80 grams) ground almonds
- 4.5 oz (130 grams) cold butter
- 2.8 oz (80 grams) sugar
- 20 ml milk
- 1 yolk
- a pinch of saltFor The Filling:
- 1.75 oz (50 grams) sugar
- 4 tbsp bread crumbs or semolina
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 medium apples
- 2 tbsp rum
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- icing sugar for sprinkling as neededMETHOD:1. Place the plain flour, almond flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Mix to combine.2. Add the butter cut into cubes. Mix the butter into the flour mixture so that it resembles bread crumbs.3. Add the yolk and the milk. Only mix with finger tips, otherwise too much kneading could alter the taste of the pastry. Mix to form a soft smooth ball4. Cover with a cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.5. Prepare the filling, wash, peel and slice the apples into thin slices. Soak the apples in the lemon juice, rum and sprinkle with cinnamon powder.6. Take out the pastry, once it has rested. Divide into two equal portions. Lightly dust with flour and roll each portion into a circle.7. Place the first circle inside a lined baking tin. Make sure to press the pastry against the sides of the tin.8. Sprinkle the base of the pastry with semolina or bread crumbs.9. Using a spoon, fill the shell with the apple filling. Uniformly sprinkle the top with sugar.10. Cover with the second circle, you can crimp the sides with a fork if you like.11. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for 45 minutes or until light golden brown in colour. Let cool for a few minutes then sprinkle with icing sugar and serve with coffee or tea.
Facebook Comments Box