Baci di Alassio are formed by two round-shaped “cookies,” with the veins due to the ridged tip of the “Sac à poche,” flattened on one side.
The two cookies are “glued together” by means of a chocolate cream.
MAKES 15 Baci
17 oz of shelled hazelunuts
1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of cocoa powder
3 egg whites
a pinch of salt
4 tsp of honey
1/2 cup of heavy cream
1 cup of dark chocolate
Toast the hazelnuts by spreading them out on the baking sheet and leave them in the oven at 350 F for 5 minutes, then let cool.
– In a kitchen mixer, finely chop the hazelnuts together with the cocoa and sugar.
– Whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt and add them to the hazelnut, cocoa and sugar flour obtained earlier. Mix adding the honey until you obtain a rather thick cream.
– Pour the resulting mixture into a Sac à poche with a ridged nozzle and, on a baking tray covered with parchment paper, form mounds (clumps) of the mixture. You will get about 30, which will be used to make 15 Baci di Alassio.
– Bake them in the oven at 390 F for 12 minutes.
Now let’s move on to the cream
– Heat the cream to a temperature close to boiling, then pour it into a bowl containing the dark chocolate
– Let it sit for about 10 minutes for the chocolate to melt, then, with an electric whisk, mix and whip it.
Spread or deposit with a sac à poche a little cream on the flat part of a previously prepared cookie and “glue” another one using the cream itself as a glue.
This will produce the 15 baci di Alassio, which at this point only need cooling in the refrigerator.
Now the Baci di Alassio are ready to be enjoyed.
BACI DI ALASSIO (CHOCOLATE & HAZELNUTS CREAM COOKIES)