Barley and beef soup is an ancient dish, originating from the peasant tradition, very simple and tasty.
Cereals, meat and vegetables are combined to give life to a unique dish, ideal to be tasted in the cold winter days!
Let’s see together how to make it!
- 2 Tbls of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbls of butter
- 2 pounds of boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 large white potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 15 oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of peas, drained
- 4 cups of beef broth
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of barley
- 1 Tbls of fresh thyme or 1/2 Tbls of dried
- 1/4 cup of fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of fresh ground black pepper
Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan.
Add the beef and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in the onions, carrots, celery, garlic and potato and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more.
Deglaze the pan with the red wine.
Place all the ingredients into a crock pot.
Add the tomatoes, peas, beef broth, water, barley, thyme, parsley and bay leaves.
Season with salt and pepper and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or until all the meat is nice and tender.
Remove the bay leaves and serve with the Italian bread.