Crispy crunchy fried calamari can be found in almost any Italian restaurant in the throughout the world.
Though it can seem to be a little intimidating, it’s very easy to make at home.
Cleaning the calamari can take a little getting used too. In some stores you can find it cleaned and ready for cooking or even frozen or pre-breaded which I don’t recommend. Fresh is always best.
Just make sure you don’t overcook the calamari or it will get tough and chewy.
Your aiming for tender and crisp.
- 2 pounds of squid, cleaned and cut into rings.
- 1 and 1/2 cups of all purpose flour.
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of fresh ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil for fryingPREPARATION
- Clean the squid by holding the body with one hand carefully pull out the tentacles with the other. Remove the quill like bone from the inside of the body.
- Peel the skin off the body. Cut the head away from the tentacles then remove the mouth from the base of the tentacles.
- Rinse the body and tentacles well under cold water.
- Cut the body into 1/2 inch rings.
- Pat dry.
- In a medium size pot heat the oil to 375 degrees.
- In a medium size bowl, mix the flour and oregano together.
- Dredge the calamari in the flour and deep fry in small batches for a bout 1 minute.
- Drain the calamari on a paper towel.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Italian Meat & Fish Recipes
FRIED CALAMARI ITALIAN-STYLEPosted on November 14, 2022
Facebook Comments Box