The zeppole of potatoes are a typical recipe of the Neapolitan tradition.
They are a sweet preparation.
Baked at Christmas, but also on other occasions such as the feast of St. Joseph, these delicious fried doughnuts will amaze you.
The secret is all in the dough made of flour, potatoes, eggs, sugar and butter.
The potatoes are inserted boiled and mashed, to give the recipe its unmistakable softness.
- 8 cups of all purpose flour
- 35 oz of boiled potatoes
- 4 whole eggs
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1 cube of fresh yeast (4 tsp)
- 1 coffee cup of Strega liqueur (optional)
- 1500 ml. of peanut oil
- 1¼ cups of sugar to decorate
- Boil and peel the potatoes.
- In a bowl, pour the flour, mashed potatoes, eggs, butter, sugar and Strega (optional). Mix the ingredients together for a few minutes, until a thick but soft dough has formed.
- Place the dough on one side of the cutting board, cover with a dish towel and begin to form the zeppole by cutting small pieces of dough, which you will work with both hands to obtain not too thin breadsticks. Form the zeppole, as shown in the video, and place them as you go on a tray with a sheet of baking paper. Cover the zeppole with a tea towel and let them rise 2 1/2 hours at room temperature.
- Heat the oil and fry a few potato fritters at a time.
- Sprinkle the hot fried zeppole in sugar and arrange them on a tray.
FRIED SWEET POTATOES ZEPPOLE (ZEPPOLE DOLCI DI PATATE)