Crema Pasticcera is a basic recipe of Italian pastry making, certainly one of the most common and is usually used to fill cakes such as sponge cake, cream puffs, tarts, eclairs, cannoli, millefeuille, etc..
I have also used it to prepare some excellent saccottini enriched with chocolate drops.
Italian Crema Pasticcera (Custard Cream or Pastry Cream)
- 4 cups Milk
- 1 1/4 cups Sugar
- 1 piece Orange Peel
- 6 Egg Yolks
- 1/2 cup Cake Flour or 1/3 Corn Starch
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 drop Vanilla Essence
- Heat the milk, salt and the orange peel in a 4 quart heavy saucepan, at a low heat.
- At the same time in a large bowl mix the sugar and the flour or corn starch and add the egg yolks one at a time, stirring with a wire whisk until well homogenized.
- Increasing the heat a little bit and transfer egg mixture into the pot with milk.
- Continue cooking, stirring constantly until it thickens and bubbles for 1 minute.
- Remove from fire, discard orange peels, mix in the vanilla and place in a bowl.
- Cover surface with wax paper and store in the refrigerator for a few hours or until ready to use.