These little dusty cookies have some names, butterballs, snowballs or Italian Wedding Cookies.
They are very similar to Mexican Wedding Cookies and Russian Tea Cakes, but instead of pecans, they are made with chopped almonds and ground almonds.
Italian Christmas Almond Cookies
- 1/2 cup Almonds Blanched, Slivered or Sliced
- 1 cup Margarine
- 1 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour* (substitute gluten-free all-purpose flour plus 1/4 tsp xanthan gum for gluten-free alternative)
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp Pure Almond or Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line two or three large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Pulse almonds in a food processor until very finely ground.
- Process the margarine, flour, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, almond extract, and salt until the dough comes together, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Scoop about 1 rounded tablespoon of dough at a time onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches between each scoop.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and sift powdered sugar over the warm cookies.
- Allow to cool before dusting with powdered sugar again.
Calories: 368kcalCarbohydrates: 30.7gProtein: 3.9gFat: 2539gSaturated Fat: 4gSodium: 340mgSugar: 11.4g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!