Puff pastry cannoncini with limoncello cream are typical Italian mignon pastries, which cannot miss in a tray of pastries.
Cannoncini alla crema are delicious puff pastry cannoli filled with delicious custard, ideal to serve at the end of a meal or accompanied by tea or coffee.
Making them is really quick and easy: all you need is some cannelli, i.e. metal cylinders on which to wrap the strips of puff pastry, which can be cylindrical or conical. Here’s how to prepare these delicious homemade cream cannoncini in just a few moves
Cannoncini al Limoncello
- 6 Cannelli (Metal Cylinders)
- 1 Sheet Puff Pastry 9.45 x 9.45 inches
- 6 Cream Horn Molds
- 1 Egg Beaten
- Limoncello Pastry Cream
- 1 Cup Milk
- 50 grams Caster Sugar
- 1 Whole Egg
- 30 grams Flour "00"
- Rind of 1 Lemon cut into quarters
- 15 ml Limoncello Liqueur
- 1/2 Cup Whipped Cream
- Bring milk to simmer with the lemon zest strips, meanwhile mix the eggs and the sugar in a bowl, then add the flour and the Limoncello and mix well, take the milk off the heat and add to the egg mixture.
- Put the mixture in a pot and bring to the boil slowly mixing constantly with a wooden spoon, the mixture will thicken as it comes to the boil.
- Remove pastry cream from the heat, place it in a flat plate, remove the lemon strips, cover with cling film and refrigerate until required!
- For the cream horns, cut the pastry sheets into strips of 1.5cm wide (¾ inch wide).
- Wrap one strip in a spiral fashion starting at the tip and overlap the edge, you will need 2 strips per mold,
- Brush the horns with beaten egg and add some flaked almonds, bake immediately in a preheated oven, 180ºC (350Fº) for 15 minutes or until the pastries are golden, cool down and remove the molds.
- When ready to fill the pastries remove the cream from the refrigerator mix with a spatula and fold the whipped cream through, fill the cream horns with a piping bag and garnish to taste.