Great Cabbage Soup for a cold day.
This easy to make soup is filling and inviting and will definitely be a hit among family and friends.
Make this soup early in the morning to give all the flavors a chance to blend.
- 3/4 stick of butter
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 slices of pancetta, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into circles
- 1 large white potato, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 4 1/4in. slices of cooked smoked pork butt
- 3 cups of Savoy or green cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup of flat leaf Italian parsley
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 15oz cans of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pound of ditali pasta (optional)
- 1/2 cup of fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
In a large pot heat the butter an the oil.
Add the pancetta, onions, celery, carrots, potato and garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
Add the pork butt and cook for 1 minute longer.
Stir in the cabbage, parsley and thyme with 1 cup of chicken broth.
Cover and cook until cabbage is slightly wilted.
Add the beans and remaining broth.
Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
Lower the heat and simmer covered for about 1 hour.
In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until al dente. Around 5 to 10 minutes.
Drain the pasta and place in individual bowls.
Top the pasta with the soup and serve with Parmigiano cheese.