My grandmother was a powerhouse when it came to baking cakes and desserts.
She left behind a wonderful recipe that will allow you to delight your palate with a delicious apple cake.
Let me know how you like it!
TORTA DI MELE DELLA MIA NONNA
MY ITALIAN GRANNY’S APPLE CAKE
- 10 inch Round Baking Pan
- 300 grams All Purpose Flour* 2 3/8 Cups
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 7 tbsp Soft Butter
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 4 Apples
- 1 Lemon Peel
- Pinch Salt
- Powdered Sugar to taste
- *For a gluten-free alternative, substitute gluten-free all-purpose flour plus 3/4 tsp. xanthan gum.
- Start the preparation of the apple cake by mixing in a bowl the butter together with the granulated sugar until you get a homogeneous mixture
- Combine the eggs, one at a time, the milk and the lemon peel. Stirr well after each addition
- Add the sifted flour and baking powder, then mix with a spatula
- Add a pinch of salt
- Peel the apples and cute into small cubes and add them to the dough, stirring carefully
- Place everything inside a circular mold with an opening circle of 9 inches in diameter, buttered and leveling well with the spoon
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes to 350 F, or until the center of the cake is set and the top is lightly browned
- Halfway through the baking time, rotate the cake
- Once the cake has cooled, run a knife around the edges to loosen it, then gently unmold it so that the apple design is on top
- Remove the parchment paper
- Serve dusted with powdered sugar
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!