You must try this mouthwatering recipe for Italian Ragu Meat Sauce! This hearty and flavorful meat sauce is a staple in many Italian households and is perfect for topping your favorite pasta dishes. Made with tender ground meat, tomatoes, aromatic vegetables, and a blend of fragrant herbs and spices, this classic recipe will transport you straight to the heart of Italy. Whether you’re looking to impress guests at a dinner party or just want to indulge in a comforting and delicious meal, this Italian Ragu Meat Sauce is the perfect choice.
My recipe is almost similar to Ragù alla Bolognese, but it does not contain “pancetta stesa” or milk. So, let’s dive in and learn how to make this authentic Italian sauce that is sure to become a new family favorite.
Italian Ragù Meat Sauce
- 1 Celery Stalk
- 1/2 Onion
- 2 Carrots
- 1 cup Mixed Minced Meat (veal/pork)
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1/2 cup White Wine
- 3 cups Tomato Puree
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil to taste
- To prepare the sauté I use a food processor, but if you want you can do everything by hand.
- Finely chop the celery, carrots and onion.
- In a large pot, pour and heat some extra virgin olive oil.
- Add the celery, onion and carrots and let them brown for about 5 minutes on a low flame.
- Add the ground meat; I have my trusted butcher prepare a mixture of ground veal and pork (50 percent and 50 percent).
- Using a spoon, reduce the meat into small pieces and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the white wine, turn up the flame until the wine evaporates.
- At this point add the tomato puree and a tablespoon of salt, stir and put the lid on the pan.
- Let the sauce cook on a low flame for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- I usually use “rigatoni” pasta or “helicoidal” pasta.
- And after adding the meat sauce, I sprinkle with grated Pecorino Romano cheese.
- Let me know if you liked my recipe!