A really good ricotta cake like my grandmother used to make.
Try my step by step pie recipe and let me know!!
Nonna's Italian Ricotta Pie
A really good ricotta cake like my grandmother used to make. Try my step by step recipe and let me know!!!
- 3 cups Skim-Milk Ricotta Cheese well drained
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla
- 3 1/2 oz Milk Chocolate Bar chopped
- 1 Tbsp Grated Orange Zest
- 3 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (12 oz)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 8 tsp Unsalted Butter cut into pieces
- 2 Large Eggs lightly beaten
- 2 to 2.5 Tbsp Ice Water
- 1 Egg beaten
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. In a bowl, combine all the filling ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate while you make the crust.
- In a bowl, mix the flour and salt together. Add the butter and, with a pastry blender, work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the eggs and ice water and mix with your hands until a ball of dough is formed.
- Wrap the dough in wax paper and chill for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half.
- On a floured surface, roll out one piece of dough to a 12-inch round. Fit it into a 9-inch pie dish.
- Scoop the filling into the crust.
- Roll out the second piece of dough to an 11-inch round and place it on top of the filling.
- Trim the excess dough and pinch the edges to seal them. With a skewer, make tiny holes all over the crust.
- Brush the top crust with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the crust is nicely browned. Let the pie cool completely before cutting into wedges.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!