A fantastic recipe straight from Italy.
Let me know how you like it!!!
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz) blanched slivered almonds
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 pounds well drained Ricotta (3 cups)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Grated zest of 2 large oranges
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Zest of 3 large oranges
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) Creme Fraiche (panna acida)
- Fresh mint leaves for garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Spread almonds on a cookie sheet and bake until light brown.
- Remove and set on a rack to cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- Grind almonds into a fine meal in a bowl or food processor.
- Add the eggs, ricotta, sugar, orange zest,orange liquor, vanilla and nutmeg.
- Process until well mixed, smooth, and fluffy.
- Liberally butter a 9 or 10 inch quiche dish or a glass or ceramic pie plate. (You could also use a a tart pan with a removable bottom.)
- Pour the batter int the dish, filling almost up to the top of the pan.
- Transfer to the oven.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- The tart will puff up while baking.
- Remove and place on a rack to cool for 1 hour. Set aside and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- For the topping, peel the zest from the oranges and cut into long, very thin strips.
- Be careful to remove only the peel and not the white pith underneath.
- Combine the water and the sugar in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over low heat, add orange zest and cook slowly for 1 hour.
- If syrup becomes too dry add a little more water.
- Turn off heat and add cinnamon stick. Set aside.
- Just before serving time, remove the candied orange zest from the syrup and shake off the excess syrup.
- Reserve syrup and set aside.
- Place 1 tablespoon of sugar on a piece of waxed paper.
- Place the zest on the sugar an toss well to coat with sugar.
- Place orange rind on the top of the tart and distribute evenly over the tart.
To serve, cut the tart into wedges. Place on serving plates, top with a dollop of Creme Frauche, and drizzle a reaspoon of the reserved syrup on top.
Garnish with mint leaves.
Italian Cakes & Dessert Recipes Italian Easter Recipes
NONNA’S ORANGE RICOTTA ALMOND TARTPosted on February 9, 2022
Facebook Comments Box