Pasta alla Norma is one of the most famous Sicilian recipes in the world. It really embodies the flavors of the island.
- 8 oz rigatoni or ziti pasta
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium eggplants
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 can peeled plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup ricotta salata
- red chilli flakes and salt to taste
- basil for garnish as neededDIRECTIONS:Cut the egg plants in cubes or slices. Sprinkle with salt, leave to drain for an hour in the colander.Boil the pasta according to the packet directions, drain. Reserve 1/2 a cup of the pasta water. Set aside.Wash and pat dry the eggplant slices or cubes. Fry in olive oil until light golden brown in colour.Place on kitchen towel to remove excess oil.Saute the garlic until light golden in colour, being careful not to burn. Add in the red chilli flakes.Add the peeled tomatoes and salt to taste.Add the basil leaves. Press the tomatoes with the back of the spoon.Add half of the egg plant and grated ricotta salata. Reserve the rest for garnish.Toss the pasta into the sauce. Add the pasta water if the sauce is too thick.Garnish with ricotta salata, rest of the fried eggplant and fresh basil leaves.
Facebook Comments Box