Pasta with sardines is a typical recipe of Sicilian cooking now known by many people. It is a poor recipe made with simple and cheap ingredients.
YIELD: Serves 4
- 1 lb linguine or bucatini
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 small chopped garlic clove
- 2 can of sardines
- 1/4 cup fennel fronds or wild fennel
- 8 oz toasted bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 4 tbsp pine nuts
- 4 tbsp Evo (extra virgin olive oil)
- 1/4 tsp saffron soaked in 1 tbsp water
- salt & pepper to tasteMETHOD:1. Cook chopped onions and garlic in extra virgin olive oil. Cook until soft.2. Add the raisins, pine nuts and sardines.3. Add the fennel fronds or the wild fennel. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Also add the saffron water. Cook on low heat for 5 to 10 minutes.4.While the sauce is cooking, boil the pasta according to the directions on the package. Reserve 1/4 cup of pasta water. Drain the rest and set aside.5. Once the sauce is ready, add the boiled pasta and the reserved pasta water.6. Add in the toasted bread crumbs and mix everything together. Serve as it is or with a drizzle of Evo and more toasted bread crumbs if you like.
Facebook Comments Box