iv data-elementor-type="wp-post" data-elementor-id="16006" class="elementor elementor-16006">
The potato cake, called in Naples also “gattò or pizza di patane” is a typical preparation of Neapolitan cuisine and consists in a timbale of smashed potatoes with various types of local cheeses as provola, smoked scamorza, caciocavallo or mozzarella, and a special salami called Naples or slices of soppressata home made.Is it a salted pastry cake easy to prepare. In this session of typical dishes campani I propose you the recipe to prepare the original one of my land.
Gateau di Patate
Neapolitan Cheese and Salami Potato Cake
- 6 Medium Potatoes
- 3 Eggs
- 3/4 Cup Grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- 1 Cup Diced Provola or Provolone Cheese
- 1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 6 oz Napoli Salami
- Breadcrumbs to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes with the whole peel, drain them and let them cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile cut the provola cheese and mozzarella, not too small, I prefer sliced, so as to form a uniform layer.
- Peel the potatoes and mash them two times with potato masher.
- Wait a minute that potatoes intiepidiscano, dress them with the whole eggs, salt, a nice sprinkling of ground black pepper and grated cheese.
- Mix well all the ingredients.
- Grease with a little butter the inside of an oven dish, sprinkle with bread crumb and pour a layer of potato mixture in a uniform manner.
- Add all cheeses and salami.
- Cover with the remaining part of the potato mixture.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and some pieces of butter.
- Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes, until it become a golden crust on the surface.
- Wait a few minutes before cutting into slices and serve.
- The potato cake is also excellent cold or heated the day after.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!