Cabbage and bean soup is an always popular soup on the table of those who like to eat well.
The main ingredient in this recipe, besides borlotti beans, is cabbage; it is one of the healthiest and most nutritious vegetables found in nature.
Cabbage possesses a whole range of elements and properties that are beneficial to our bodies, making it in fact a vegetable that should never be missing from our tables.
In fact, it is rich in iron, calcium, vitamin A and omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
Cabbage and bean soup is a good dish of Sicilian cuisine, a delicacy to be enjoyed especially during cold winter evenings.
Sicilian Cabbage & Bean Soup (MINESTRA DI CAVOLO E FAGIOLI)
Popular hearty soup
- 8 cups Cabbage
- 1 2/3 cups White Beans
- 10 cups Meat Stock
- 2 Large Ripe Tomatoes
- Grated Pecorino Cheese to taste
- 4 Slices of Bread
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil to taste
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Soak the beans the night before you are ready to prepare this delicious cabbage and bean soup
- Next day, you must first remove the leaves from the cabbage, wash them and cook them in moderately salted boiling water
- In a separate pot, boil the beans that will have been soaked the night before along with a pinch of baking soda.
- Now drain the cabbage leaves, chop them into not-too-small pieces and throw them together with the cooked and drained beans and the two skinned and shredded tomatoes into a pot in which there is some stock (preferably meat stock) boiling.
- Cook for a good ten minutes or so, so that the ingredients are well flavored with each other and then season with grated pecorino cheese and freshly ground black pepper.
- Finally, serve the cabbage and bean soup at the table with slices of bread fried in extra virgin olive oil.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
2 thoughts on “SICILIAN CABBAGE & BEAN SOUP (MINESTRA DI CAVOLO E FAGIOLI)”
Looks Yummy-How do I print it out?
We’ve added a button to help make this easier to print!