Ricotta cigarettes are a delicious and easy-to-make dessert of Sicilian origin.
The waffles are made with a mixture of egg whites, butter, powdered sugar and flour.
Once cooked for a very few minutes in the oven, the wafers, after being turned upside down, are rolled around a thin cylinder (metal, wooden, etc.),so that they take the shape of a cigarette.
Finally, they are filled with a ricotta cream.
Waffle cigarettes are also called surprise or zufoli.
Sicilian Sweet Ricotta Cream Waffle "Cigarettes"
For the "Cigarettes"
- 1 Cup Egg Whites
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Butter soft
- 1/4 Cup Cornstarch (or Maizena)
- 1 1/4 Cups All Purpose Flour
For the Ricotta Cream
- 2 Cups Sheep's Ricotta Cheese
- 3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- Our ingredients
- To prepare sweet cigarettes with ricotta cheese Sicilian recipe, start by preparing the ricotta cheese cream.
- Mix the ricotta cheese with the sugar, using electric whips to obtain a smooth and glossy cream.
- Cover and leave in the refrigerator until needed.
- Now prepare the wafers, whip the egg whites at room temperature, and add the powdered sugar a little at a time, get a well-stiff meringue.
- Cream the butter, it should be very soft and add it little by little to the meringue.
- Also combine the flour and cornstarch, but they should be sifted first.
- Transfer everything to the refrigerator for 1 hour before starting the baking.
- Decide on the type of baking in the oven or on a griddle.
- Create 4-inch squares on baking paper and bake for 8 minutes at 350 F in the oven they should not be turned. In the griddle turn after 5 minutes.
- Roll them quickly around a stick the size of a pencil.
- Be careful not to burn yourself.
- Transfer the cream to a pastry bag with a narrow, smooth nozzle and fill the cigarettes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve!