A classic dish of Italian cuisine, perfect for serving on a special occasion such as a holiday or Sunday lunch, cannelloni ricotta and spinach will win everyone over with their delicious taste and creamy texture.
YIELD: Serves 3 to 4
- 8 to 12 cannelloni or lasagna sheets
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 16 oz spinach blanched and drained
- 10 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 5 oz parmigiano reggiano cheeseFor The Besciamella White Sauce:
- 500 ml milk
- 2 oz butter
- 1.8 oz plain flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch nutmeg powderMETHOD:1. Fry a whole clove of peeled garlic in the olive oil. Remove from heat once it turns light brown in colour.2. Add the blanched spinach, salt and pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes.3. Once cool add the ricotta, egg, and parmigiano reggiano cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Also add the nutmeg powder, mix well and set side4. Take a medium saucepan, add the milk and let it warm.Now add the butter and flour, cook on low heat while whisking continuously.Add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Remove from heat once desired thickness is attained.Set aside.5. Prepare the cannelloni tubes or pasta sheets according to package directions. Drain and set on a kitchen towel.6. With the help of a piping bag or a small spoon fill the cannelloni with the spinach ricotta mixture. Arrange in a greased baking dish7.Top with a layer of besciamella sauce.8. Follow with a good sprinkling of grated parmigiano reggiano cheese.9. Bake at 356 F until a light brown crust forms on the surface.
SPINACH & RICOTTA CANNELLONI: Classic Italian Sunday Dish