These stuffed zucchini flowers are a tasty seasonal appetizer, also very good to enjoy for an aperitif in the garden accompanied by some good prosecco.
The flowers are cleaned, stripped of the pistil and filled with a slice of very fresh mozzarella and salted anchovies before being dipped in batter and fried.
Fiori Di Zucca Ripieni
For the Zucchini Flowers
- 16 Large Zucchini Flowers
- 2 Medium Mozzarella Cheese
- 16 Anchovies in oil
- Oil for frying
For the Batter
- 2/3 Cup Ice-Cold Sparkling Water
- 4 Ice Cubes
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 3/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
- Flour to taste, for flouring
- To make zucchini flowers stuffed with mozzarella and anchovies start by cleaning the squash blossoms by washing them thoroughly and removing the stem and growths.
- Dry them with a kitchen towel, gently open them and remove the flower pistil with your fingers.
- Cut the mozzarellas into strips and drain the anchovy fillets of excess oil; gently open the squash blossoms and insert a piece of mozzarella and an anchovy inside, then gently close them by taking the flower petals with your fingers and wrapping them around themselves.
- Leave the stuffed squash blossoms aside and prepare the batter: in a bowl pour the egg yolk and add the flour.
- Then also pour in the ice-cold sparkling water and ice cubes.
- Mix the ingredients well with a whisk until you get a liquid batter without lumps.
- Prepare some flour to coat the flowers in flour, dip them one by one first in the flour then in the batter, draining them well, and place them in a large frying pan one or two at a time; fry them for a few minutes until they are golden brown.
- Drain them with a skimmer and place them on a tray with paper towels.
- Add salt to taste and serve them piping hot!